Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Empanada de Camote


I had been wanting an Empanada de camote (sweet potato empanada), but none of the Mexican stores around here make good ones, so I decided to give my abuelitos a call. I called and spoke to my grandfather and asked how to make them. The directions were a little vague so please bare with me.

Step 1: Roll 
Dough: He told me to use about 2-3 cups of flour mixed with canela tea, which is boiled water with a cinnamon stick and sugared to taste. Well, the dough was way to sticky and was not working. Thus, I had to resort to the internet. Some recipes called for shortening, butter, vegetable oil, or even lard. So I stuck to the butter and oil. I used roughly 3 tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Some recipes also called for sugar, so I added about 1/4 cup brown sugar. Mixed it together again with the dough hook in the kitchen aid mixer, until everything was off the walls of the bowl. I rolled the dough into small to medium size balls and set them aside.

Step 2: Add filling


Filling: (Camote) I bought a can of sweet potatoes in syrup and smashed them. I  drained some of the syrup and added a 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.  You don't want the filling to be too watery, but enough to hold it together.

Putting it all together: Fold it over and with a fork, press the edges down to close in the empanada. Place them in the oven on 325 until golden brown.
Step3: Press fork to close


Although these came out good, I think next time I 'll try frying them

2 comments:

  1. You made them almost exactly the way my mom makes them. I haven't found a recipe for them on the internet that uses the canela tea for the dough so it was good to find this. We're from south central Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) I have a lot of family in Texas, all over. Were you able to try out the recipe?

      Delete